Friday, May 3, 2019

What Happens When You Stick a Head of Garlic In Soil?

Garlic Plant in Menifee by #artscienceEARTH


I had absolutely ZERO experience growing garlic when I planted last November. It's actually surprising, given that I will eat just about anything with garlic, even garlic! Despite my passion for it, my lack of experience may have cost me a good harvest on my first try. Fortunately, I gained some valuable experience points and I already feel confident about my next attempt. Here's what happens when you stick a head of garlic in the ground.



MENIFEE, CALIFORNIA
MAY 03, 2019

Most of the life skills that I'm proud to have come with a disclaimer, one that any returning visitors are aware of. (In fact, you'll see it again below) By no means, am I an expert.

This might have more to do with my cautious nature but, I find that formal learning environments don't suit me as well as "on the job training" will. I actually like to make mistakes. Some of the more advanced skills I know only came from seeing what happens when it's done wrong. I gained a certain understanding of what to avoid and with that, a broader perspective.

Anyway, that's the long way of saying, I screwed up my fist attempt at growing garlic!

If you do any cooking, or at least produce shopping, odds are good that you've had your share of impatient vegetables. You've had them so long that they decide to start growing on their own. This happens commonly with potatoes, onions and garlic.

So, without much research, I flew with my instincts into the garden with a head of garlic that was already sprouting it's green stem and covered it with some potting soil!

Garlic planted with other herbs in Menifee by #artscienceEARTH

All was well, really. grass was growing nice and tall and I was sure that I would be eating the freshest garlic one could possible have in a season or two. I watched it grow multiple stalks in the "kitchen pot" with an onion and some oregano. I call it that because aside from the young orange trees, these are the only plants that I intended to eat.

I had also read that they do well with repelling pests and have been considered decent companions for roses. So, I planted two heads, yes, full unbroken heads into this "kitchen pot". There was also some basil but, it didn't survive the sharp sun for very long. Later on, an onion began to sprout in the pantry so, I planted that, too.
Garlic beginning to sprout in Menifee by #artscienceEARTH

Elsewhere in the Garden

In a smaller 6" pot, I placed another head of garlic and because I had more sand than potting soil, it was a very well draining mix. It too, was doing well until yesterday, I noticed the leaves were beginning to fall over. I had some potting soil available so, I repotted into a slightly bigger pot.
Garlic planted too close together in Menifee by #artscienceEARTH

Today, it didn't look much better for it, so I decided to use it as a learning experience. I dug it up to have a look and this is what I found.
Roots of Garlic Cloves in Menifee by #artscienceEARTH

Now, after doing some research on harvesting garlic, I was able to confirm with my own plants that, a new plant will grow from each individual clove. (As a side note, I also learned that garlic doesn't grow from a flower like a fruit tree might. It's more like a root vegetable in the sense that you must dig it up.) 

As you might imagine. The cloves were all very close together and quite small. However, the roots systems were actually easy to separate. Many of the stems, however were limp, I suspect because of all the competition for resources in such a tight space.

Moving Forward

Ever the optimist, I decided to take three of the stronger cloves with decent root structure and sturdy stems and leaves and plant them back into the pot, just to see what happens next.
Repotted Garlic Plants in Menifee by #artscienceEARTH

I'm concerned that the two bulbs will have similar issues. The leaves are beginning to brown and usually that is signs of readiness to harvest. In the previous case, though, the bulbs were tiny. I'm still debating whether or not to dig these up and try replanting or just letting this one go and see where it takes me. 

Either way, I have a much better idea for next year. Also, given the warm climate here in SoCal, I may just roll the dice and plant a few garlic bulbs, now!

First things first, I'm going to do some more digging around the 'net about growing garlic and suggest you do the same if this might be interesting to you. If it is, here's  a few resources that have helped me so far.


Growing Garlic Resources



Send Grow Vibes 💚
Josh | #artscienceEARTH



DISCLAIMER: It's fair to acknowledge that I AM NOT AN EXPERT.


I have no formal training or education regarding agriculture, horticulture, ecology or any other subjects appearing in this blog. I have access to the internet and a strong desire to constantly be learning new things. This entire blog is just as much about my own education as it is yours. 


I also have a unique ability to "weed out" some of the nonsense and find reputable sources of information so, I'm confident that this information will help you understand this process. Many of the techniques that I share with you are new to me, too. More than that, it serves as an example that even if you have no experience or training, you can still have success and grow in your own garden!


Although, my intent is to share knowledge here, I treat much of this blog as a scientific journal. These are simply documents of scientific facts that I have either seen first hand are intend to recreate myself. So, please, do as much of your own research and use your own judgement with this information and embrace the journey of discovery. 


"The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Social Media Links:
@artscience84 on Instagram
@artscience84 on Facebook
@artscience84 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happens When You Stick a Head of Garlic In Soil?

I had absolutely ZERO experience growing garlic when I planted last November. It's actually surprising, given that I will eat just ...