Friday, April 26, 2019

Wild Bird Activity in Menifee: Brewer's Blackbird

Brewer's Blackbird in Menifee #artscienceEARTH

I made this post in Instagram regarding the wild bird activity. I read somewhere that documenting wildlife activity in your garden journal is a good idea, so, here goes.

MENIFEE, CALIFORNIA// There's about three different types of birds that I see regularly in this area. The most frequent is the house finch and next to that is the dove. The third most common is what I believe to be the Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus).

At first glance, I would guess that this is the Rusty Blackbird but, according to my Nat Geo Wild Bird Guide, the Rusty is much more prevalent in Northern Canada. The Brewer has a range that spans most of Western North America so, it's most likely the breed that's made a home here, in the IE.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1BeSh95lyt1W74z71QYXQ3DrQZSBy9uKg
"April 26, 2019// A couple of these black birds have built a nest in a nearby tree and have been guarding the bird seed aggressively.

The finches are persistent but, easily chased. The doves seem unbothered.

Still no visitors to the suet cage.

#artscienceEARTH #WildBirdArea #birds #ecology #blackbird #garden"  



 In case you're unaware, I started a Wild Bird Area in the backyard for several reasons. For one, I believe that wild bird activity increases overall biological activity which in turn, creates a more nurturing environment for plants. I believe that the flowering pear tree that was planted last year has benefited greatly.

Another reason for creating the Wild Bird Area is that whatever seed that falls uneaten, will take root fairly easily. So, instead of worrying about "weeding" various places in the lawn, I decided to let them all take and see what grows. I also doubled down and planted some safflower and a Wildflower Mix designed to attract hummingbirds and butterflies.

You can see more of the Wild Bird Area on #artscienceEARTH, here.


This page has everything to do with Birds on #artscienceEARTH.


There's more on the Wildflower Mix on #artscienceEARTH, here.


I am mildly concerned about the aggressive behavior of these Brewer's Blackbirds. I like them and their sounds and I'm more than happy to accommodate all wildlife in the area but, they are chasing away another one of my favorite guests in the House Finch.

There was a time where the Doves were the nuisance, hogging the bird seed and chasing off the finches.

For now, I'm just gonna let it work itself out. The blackbirds appear to be breeding so, I speculate that they may move on or at least, calm down over the food. I have seen them with small bugs on occasion so, they do eat more than just bird seed.

I also want to continue to grow my yard into an even more bird friendly ecosystem so, you could look at this as, "demand is high".

We'll see...




Send Grow Vibes ðŸ’š
Josh | #artscienceEARTH



DISCLAIMER: It's fair to acknowledge that I AM NOT AN EXPERT.


I have no formal training or education regarding agriculture, horticulture, ecology or any other subjects appearing in this blog. I have access to the internet and a strong desire to constantly be learning new things. This entire blog is just as much about my own education as it is yours. 


I also have a unique ability to "weed out" some of the nonsense and find reputable sources of information so, I'm confident that this information will help you understand this process. Many of the techniques that I share with you are new to me, too. More than that, it serves as an example that even if you have no experience or training, you can still have success and grow in your own garden!


Although, my intent is to share knowledge here, I treat much of this blog as a scientific journal. These are simply documents of scientific facts that I have either seen first hand are intend to recreate myself. So, please, do as much of your own research and use your own judgement with this information and embrace the journey of discovery. 


"The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Social Media Links:
@artscience84 on Instagram
@artscience84 on Facebook
@artscience84 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happens When You Stick a Head of Garlic In Soil?

I had absolutely ZERO experience growing garlic when I planted last November. It's actually surprising, given that I will eat just ...