Thursday, March 14, 2019

Painted Lady Butterfly Migration 2019


Painted Lady Butterfly Migration 2019 #artscienceEARTH

MENIFEE, CALIFORNIA\\ After an historic winter in California, Painted Lady Butterflies migrated through the state and up the coast by the millions! The significant rainfall that produced the Superbloom has also created an ideal circumstance for the butterfly and the caterpillar. Simply put, more plants to eat means more bugs to eat them, including the Painted Lady.

Although the migration is an annual event, this is the largest one on record since 2005. One of the reasons speculated for why we're seeing so many this year is the Superbloom. With so many flourishing fields of vegetation in the area, the butterflies are taking their time, feeding and reproducing here.

Starting in Mexico, the Painted Ladies travel up the West Coast as the weather warms. Some sightings have been reported as far north as Alaska!


I was fortunate enough to be sitting outside one afternoon and shared a moment with one of these amazing creatures. I must have seen a hundred over the course of a few hours. After a few tries with the butterfly net, I got ahold of one and sat down.

Although, it was as jumpy as you might imagine an insect with somewhere to be would be, it calmed down and hung out for minute. I was grateful to get a closer look. They seem so small as they are flying by but, when you see them up close, their size is respectable.

While I don't know of any immediate benefits a butterfly would have on a garden, they are definitely a sign that things are growing well. If for not other reason at all, they sure are a sight to see, especially as part of remarkable migration.

Here's my post on Instagram of the Painted Lady Migration 2019




Send Grow Vibes ðŸ’š
Josh | #artscienceEARTH



DISCLAIMER: It's fair to acknowledge that I AM NOT AN EXPERT.


I have no formal training or education regarding agriculture, horticulture, ecology or any other subjects appearing in this blog. I have access to the internet and a strong desire to constantly be learning new things. This entire blog is just as much about my own education as it is yours. 


I also have a unique ability to "weed out" some of the nonsense and find reputable sources of information so, I'm confident that this information will help you understand this process. Many of the techniques that I share with you are new to me, too. More than that, it serves as an example that even if you have no experience or training, you can still have success and grow in your own garden!


Although, my intent is to share knowledge here, I treat much of this blog as a scientific journal. These are simply documents of scientific facts that I have either seen first hand are intend to recreate myself. So, please, do as much of your own research and use your own judgement with this information and embrace the journey of discovery. 


"The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Social Media Links:
@artscience84 on Instagram
@artscience84 on Facebook
@artscience84 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happens When You Stick a Head of Garlic In Soil?

I had absolutely ZERO experience growing garlic when I planted last November. It's actually surprising, given that I will eat just ...