Friday, April 12, 2019

The Glass Bottle Test Tube Method of Propagation

Propagation Glass Bottle Test Tube Method #artscienceEARTH


MENIFEE, CALIFORNIA\\ I've had some success with propagation in various methods. I've put some sticks directly into soil. I've used sand and even just a plain ol' glass of water! In fact, aside from the succulents and cacti cuttings, I've had the most success with this method, known as the Test Tube Method. Here's a recount of the Glass Bottle trial.

After the poor results of the Plastic Bottle Test Tube Method, my next step was to use these sterilized glass bottles. Because of what I've read about the hazards of reusing plastic bottles and the benefits of switching to glass containers in food and drink, I believe that these benefits will transfer to the growing conditions and I will see a much better conversion rate with these cuttings.

I soaked three recycled glass 16oz bottles in a solution of water with a small amount of bleach, not only to sterilize but, this solution helps to remove the stickers from the outside of the bottle. After rinsing them well, I let them air dry and then left them in the sun for a half day.

Then, I filled them about half way with filtered water and went to look for cuttings.

March 26, 2019

#1 Midnight Sage | I strongly suspected that this would produce positive results. It grows very quickly and is very hardy. As of today, it is already showing some roots.

#2 Hydrangea | This plant is growing on a North facing wall and isn't doing extremely well but, it has returned with the warmer weather. I suspect that this will be a tough grow. It's already showing some holes in the leaves like it's mother plant and dropped a leaf. It's still green, though. So, I'll wait.

#3 Date Palm | As far as I know, this palm doesn't grow from cuttings. However, there are no seeds at the moment and I would like to try anyway, just to see for myself. I don't really expect anything from this cutting but, I'm open to being surprised.

April 7, 2019

#4 Flowering Pear Tree | This one comes from a necessary pruning. This flowering pear tree was from the clearance rack a few seasons ago and it was very lanky. I want this tree to become a potential shade tree and a home for birds. So, this spring, I took a bit off the top and have a few cuttings. I put some in various propagation stations including one in these glass bottles. (More Later)

I waited until just after flowering so, this cutting is growing new leaves as scheduled. Whether or not it produces roots to support them is up in the air. It is also a bit more of a "hardwood cutting" than the others so, I'm willing to be more patient with it.


As of today, I still have 3 or 4 more bottles ready to sterilize and add new cuttings. You can keep an eye on the Propagation Page to see any updates.




Send Grow Vibes ðŸ’š
Josh | #artscienceEARTH

DISCLAIMER: It's fair to acknowledge that I AM NOT AN EXPERT.


I have no formal training or education regarding agriculture, horticulture, ecology or any other subjects appearing in this blog. I have access to the internet and a strong desire to constantly be learning new things. This entire blog is just as much about my own education as it is yours. 


I also have a unique ability to "weed out" some of the nonsense and find reputable sources of information so, I'm confident that this information will help you understand this process. Many of the techniques that I share with you are new to me, too. More than that, it serves as an example that even if you have no experience or training, you can still have success and grow in your own garden!


Although, my intent is to share knowledge here, I treat much of this blog as a scientific journal. These are simply documents of scientific facts that I have either seen first hand are intend to recreate myself. So, please, do as much of your own research and use your own judgement with this information and embrace the journey of discovery. 


"The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Social Media Links:
@artscience84 on Instagram
@artscience84 on Facebook
@artscience84 on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happens When You Stick a Head of Garlic In Soil?

I had absolutely ZERO experience growing garlic when I planted last November. It's actually surprising, given that I will eat just ...