Sunday, April 14, 2019

The Greenhouse Sandbox Method of Propagation

Propagation Greenhouse Sandbox Method #artscienceEARTH


MENIFEE, CALIFORNIA\\ I've only been building this blog since April 2019. Anything older has been added retroactively as this is intended to serve as a science journal. However, I haven't been propagating for very much longer.


In April 2018, I found this video on YouTube by Mike McGroarty and his Backyard Nursery and I was instantly intrigued. He opened up new world for me and I began to look at plants in a very different way. I was so excited to try what he was talking about. I couldn't wait to get started.

The basic concept of this Greenhouse Sandbox is very simple. I've found a small crate with lots of holes in and around it. This is important for proper drainage. However, in my particular climate, especially at that time, my medium was drying too rapidly and I was having to water nearly every day to keep it moist.

I added a cardboard box inside the basket. It's not airtight, so water can easily escape through the bottom and the sides but, it drains much more slowly. While "root rot" is a real danger with cuttings and should be prevented, in this hot and dry part of the world, I've found a happy medium.

Then, I placed it in my shaded greenhouse. The shade is another adjustment I've had to make due to the severity of the heat out here. That's for another post.

For more about taking cuttings, see the Propagation Page on #artscienceEARTH

So, I have several cuttings of various plants in my Greenhouse Sandbox and I'm already seeing success! In the past, I've successfully rooted a few cuttings from mint, roses, citronella and midnight sage!

I'm already analyzing and preparing adjustments to streamline my process that I can't wait to try. For now, I'm practicing patience and allowing the warmth of Springtime to increase production and I look forward to sharing the results with you, here!

Here's another video by Mike's BackyardNursery on YouTube that served as the framework for my Sandbox

For more plant reproduction visit the Propagation Page on #artscienceEARTH


Send Grow Vibes ðŸ’š
Josh | #artscienceEARTH



DISCLAIMER: It's fair to acknowledge that I AM NOT AN EXPERT.


I have no formal training or education regarding agriculture, horticulture, ecology or any other subjects appearing in this blog. I have access to the internet and a strong desire to constantly be learning new things. This entire blog is just as much about my own education as it is yours. 


I also have a unique ability to "weed out" some of the nonsense and find reputable sources of information so, I'm confident that this information will help you understand this process. Many of the techniques that I share with you are new to me, too. More than that, it serves as an example that even if you have no experience or training, you can still have success and grow in your own garden!


Although, my intent is to share knowledge here, I treat much of this blog as a scientific journal. These are simply documents of scientific facts that I have either seen first hand are intend to recreate myself. So, please, do as much of your own research and use your own judgement with this information and embrace the journey of discovery. 


"The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Social Media Links:
@artscience84 on Instagram
@artscience84 on Facebook
@artscience84 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Happens When You Stick a Head of Garlic In Soil?

I had absolutely ZERO experience growing garlic when I planted last November. It's actually surprising, given that I will eat just ...